Politics, Advocacy, and Social Media

This week's focus on politics and advocacy comes at a convenient time. Between Trump's assassination attempt and rumors of Biden stepping down as the democratic candidate, there has been a lot of political content circulating on my social media feeds. Kahne & Bowyer (2019) note that social media is the most common source of news for adolescents. And, while I am no longer an adolescent, I found myself reaching for my phone this week to see what people had to say. 

While social media opens doors to unprecedented opportunities for civic engagement, it also presents challenges. The influx of misinformation and echo chambers can polarize public discourse and undermine trust in institutions and political figures. However, when equipped with a foundation in digital literacy skills, individuals can distinguish truth from falsehood, bridge ideological divides, and promote informed, respectful dialogue. Social media is often a place where advocacy groups emerge with the ability to create change and meaningful conversations. 

As today's youth grow up immersed in technology, cultivating digital media literacy from an early age is crucial. Educators play a vital role in providing structured learning opportunities that teach young people how to navigate social media spaces responsibly and participate meaningfully in civic engagement.

Reference
Kahne, J., & Bowyer, B. (2019). Can media literacy education increase digital engagement in politics? Journal of Educational Media : The Journal of the Educational Television Association, 44(2), 211–224. https://doi.org/10.1080/17439884.2019.1601108

Comments

  1. Ohh, I can relate to this post on so many levels. I had a great talk with my son, who is 17, about politics and how to get factual information before you form your opinions. Everyone says, "Do your research!" I had to tell my son that I don't even know what this means. WHERE do we turn for truthful, unbiased information? After Usha Vance introduced her husband as VP candidate I also reached for my phone, wondering what people were going to say about her and how were they going to judge? I'm glad that my teen is interested in the election, but I fear that too many people from both parties will be influenced by what they see and hear on social media.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post reminded me of my undergrad days when Facebook was young. I remember learning about news events via Facebook (e.g., Heath Ledger's passing is one I remember clearly) and thinking it was weird that Facebook was the place where I first encountered the information. Over the years, though, getting news on social media seemed more and more natural. Now, I don't give it a second thought.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts