Context Context Context

As I reflect back on my own knowledge tracking and sharing research, as well as the presentations of others, I am reminded that not every Web 2.0 tool is appropriate for every scenario. 

In the article, What Do Teachers Share Within Socialized Knowledge Communities: A Case of Pinterest, it is highlighted that educators will utilize social media to share and save teaching content (Hu et al., 2018). For the purpose of sharing and gathering educational resources, Pinterest is much preferred to other forms of social media, such as Facebook or Twitter, which are heavily text-based. While Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter may all be well-suited for networking and connections, they each have their own strengths and weaknesses.

When I think about my personal use of social media, I notice I subconsciously use each tool for different purposes. When I want to check in on family members and share important life updates, I gravitate towards Facebook. If I need ideas for a craft or educational activity, I'll check Pinterest. And if I used X or Threads, those would be the spaces I would share thoughts about current events. Each tool has a time and place where it works most effectively, and I think that's what makes the Web so interesting and diverse. 


Reference

Hu, S., Torphy, K. T., Opperman, A., Jansen, K., & Lo, Y.-J. (2018). What do teachers share within Socialized Knowledge Communities: a case of Pinterest. Journal of Professional Capital and Community, 3(2), 97–122. https://doi.org/10.1108/JPCC-11-2017-0025

Comments

  1. So I am a member of the union in my school district, and they run a Facebook group that I am a part of where we can ask questions about our contract and whatnot. We are able to hear what is happening at other schools and receive quick feedback from the union about what is in our contract. It is a community I am so happy to be a part of and a different way that I use Facebook than just connecting with family. I would never use Facebook with my students for anything, but it is something in my personal teacher arsenal.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts